Creation of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry (PASP)
It was almost one year back on 23rd April 2015, a dedicated group of Pakistani Psychiatrists working for the promotion of Social Psychiatry, organized the first meeting of the Working Group of Social Psychiatry during the 11th National Neuropsychiatry Conference 2015 at Pearl Continental Hotel Lahore, Pakistan.
The concept and future plans were initiated and purposed by Prof. Mazhar Malik, Past President Pakistan Psychiatric Society. The first working group agenda is attached as annexure 1. This meeting was attended by Prof. Abdul Malik Achakzai, Prof M Riaz Bhatti, Prof Rizwan Taj, Prof Mazhar Malik, Prof Aziz ur Rehman , Dr. Khalid Mehmood Mughal, Dr. Sajjad Naqvi, Col Dr. Khalid Mehmood, Dr. M Jamil Akhtar, Dr. Anees Ahmad, Dr Iftikhar Ahmed Minhas, Dr Nisar Hussain, Dr. Qazi Rashid Hamid, and Col. Nadeem Ahmad.
This meeting laid the foundation of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry- Working Group. During this meeting important decisions were taken by the Working Group on the future action plan which constituted the following steps.
1) Development and designing of Introductory Brochure and Membership form.
2) Office Bearers nominations.
3) Social Psychiatry Association insignia.
4) Statutes/ constitution of the Association.
5) Development of website for Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry(PASP).
6) Membership structure and
7) Future collaboration with National and International Social Psychiatric Associations.
Specific tasks were allocated to the founder members and progress was monitored by the nominated Co-Chairman of the National Group of Social Psychiatry, Prof. Mazhar Malik. It was agreed by the office bearers and founder members for regular future meetings and activities of working group of social psychiatry. During the last one year following meetings of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry were held:
1. The first meeting of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry- working group was held during the 11 th National Neuropsychiatry Conference on 23 rd April 2015 at Pearl Continental Hotel Lahore, Pakistan.
2. The 2nd meeting of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry working group was held on 22nd August2015 PC Rawalpindi Pakistan.
3. The 3rd meeting of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry- working group was held on 21st November2015, in Multan Pakistan.
4. The 4th meeting of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry- working group was held on Saturday 5th March 2016, at Marriot Hotel Islamabad, Pakistan.
The vital milestones achieved during these consecutive meetings were unanimous approval of statues/ constitutions of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry (PASP), approval of Associations INSIGNIA, Official registration of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry under the Societies Registration Act of Pakistan and development of Membership Directory.
We have been constantly receiving the support, guidance and words of wisdom from Prof Roy Abraham Kallivayalil, President Elect of World Association of Social Psychiatry(WASP) during this period.
We are thankful to World Association of Social Psychiatry (WASP) for approving the affiliation of Pakistan Association of Social Psychiatry (PASP) by its executive committee and giving us an opportunity to work in collaboration with International Organization in the field of Social Psychiatry.
Office Bearers – Executive Council Members
Patron: Prof. Abdul Malik Achakzai
1. President. Prof. M. Riaz Bhatti
2. Senior Vice President. Prof. Mazhar Malik
3. Vice Presidents.
(i) Prof. Rizwan Taj (Federal Capital)
(ii) Prof. Aziz ur Rehman Yousafzai (KPK)
(iii) Dr. Ajmal Kazmi (Sindh)
(iv) Dr. Col (R) Khalid Mehmood (Punjab)
(v) Dr. Hamid Rashid Khawaja (AJK)
4. General Secretary. Dr Nisar Hussain
5. Finance Secretary. Dr. Iftikhar Minhas
6. Editor. Prof. Imran Ejaz Haider
Executive Council Members
1. Dr. Qazi Rashid Hameed (KPK, Abbottabad
2. Dr. Col. (R) Sajjad Naqvi (Attock)
3. Dr. Anwar ul Haq (Islamabad)
4. Dr. Jamil Akhtar (Multan)
5. Dr. Sobia Haqqi (Karachi)